The warmup last week is a great reminder that Spring is on it's way, Richmond! Not only is Spring a great time to plant gardens, enjoy the outdoors, and clean out clutter - it's the perfect time to plan for a little maintenance on your HVAC unit.
First, if you haven't already, mark a date on your calendar to change heating and cooling filters in your home.
Heating and Cooling System Maintenance
Second, it's also a good time to start thinking about preventative care for your HVAC system prior to the summer months. Heat pumps and air conditioners run longer and more efficiently when they are regularly inspected and maintained by a certified HVAC professional.
System maintenance can help detect any issues before they turn into costly problems down the road.
HVAC Maintenance Should Include:
- Checking thermostat settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- Tightening all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricating all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and increases the amount of electricity you use.
- Checking and inspecting the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Checking controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
- Cleaning evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils reduce the system's ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Checking your central air conditioner's refrigerant level and adjust if necessary. Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Cleaning and adjusting blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system's efficiency by up to 15%.
Want to take the hassle out of system maintenance? Our Comfort Club maintenance plan is a great place to start! Keep your HVAC system in top condition with stress free, regular check ups and maintenance all year long.
Howell's Comfort Club Includes
- Twice annual "Energy Savings" tune-ups, cleaning, heating and A/C adjustment
- Priority scheduling (even on our busiest days) and free reminders
- Discounts on service repairs - 10% off your bill! Every time!
- Energy savings from an efficiently tuned system.
- Each year you renew your membership, you'll earn $50 in Bonus Bucks to use toward the replacement of your system.
- "Easy Pay" monthly billing option
It's never too late to have a healthy HVAC unit. Whether you need us for inspection and repair of your AC in Richmond or require a related service elsewhere in the area, like an emergency AC repair in Short Pump, you can count on us.