Air conditioners are no longer a commodity. Nowadays, they’re a must-have household element that turns your home into a cozy sanctuary. However, despite their widespread presence on the market and in the homes of millions of people worldwide, not everyone knows how air conditioning units actually work.
Of course, there are plenty of important things to know about AC, but learning even a few basic facts can help you understand how your air conditioner functions. You’ll also know what issues you need to pay attention to, find out about all the aspects of proper AC maintenance, and more.
So, before scheduling stellar air conditioning installation in Midlothian, VA, take the time to read about the ins and outs of air conditioning units. This way, you’ll know what unit will work for your household.
How do air conditioning systems work?
Your AC unit is essential for creating a comfortable home environment, controlling the humidity levels, and enhancing the air quality. An air conditioner achieves this by extracting the heat from your house and releasing cool, fresh air. What makes this possible is the presence of certain chemicals called refrigerants that turn from a gaseous to a liquid state and vice versa, absorbing heat in the process.
As for specific components that your AC unit contains, they include:
- The compressor. This element is located in the outdoor component of your AC system. Here, the cooling fluid gets as a low-pressure gas where it’s pressurized.
- The condenser. This is also a part of the outdoor unit of your air conditioner. The condenser enables a quick dissipation of heat thanks to its metal fins.
- The evaporator. After leaving the condenser in a liquid state, the cool fluid gets to the evaporator, an indoor component of an AC system. As it goes through a narrow passage, the fluid loses the pressure and starts turning to gas while simultaneously extracting the heat.
This entire process repeats once the refrigerants turn into a low-pressure gas that once again reaches the compressor.
Different types of air conditioners
It’s important to note that there are different types of air conditioners that may entail a different process of cooling/heating a home. Here are the most common types of AC systems and some of their important features:
- Central air conditioners are most commonly used in households across the country. Central AC units actually come in two different forms:
- Split-system units. The aforementioned type of AC falls under this category since it contains two separate parts: the interior and exterior components.
- Packaged units. This type of central air conditioner has one compact unit that contains the compressor, condenser, and evaporator. They typically come with a gas furnace or electric heating coils, so you don’t need a separate heating system.
- Ductless mini-split air conditioners don’t require the use of ductwork since they release cold air directly into a room. Otherwise, they use the same process to cool your home.
- Heat pumps are another option for heating and cooling your home. There are two types of heat pump systems:
- Geothermal heat pumps are used to transfer heat from or to the ground. Of course, they also come in different types, so make sure to research your options should you decide to go with a geothermal heat pump.
- Air source heat pumps extract the heat from your home and release it outdoors. They also use outdoor heat to warm your home. Unlike other systems, these heat pumps simply move heat instead of generating it.
Contact air conditioning installation experts in Midlothian, VA & never worry
Howell’s Heating & Air is here to meet all of your AC needs. Whether you need someone to advise you on the best and most efficient AC system for your home or install your unit up to code, we’re the best in the business. Our team of professional installers can set up your air conditioning properly, maximizing its durability and minimizing the risk of any malfunctions due to poor installation.
What’s more, we have years of experience and knowledge in the field, so we can also help with regular AC tune-up checks. We’ll get the job done before you know it, so you’ll be able to relax in Midlothian Mines Park without an AC-related worry on your mind. Contact us today and get a free price estimate!