Over time, allergens, microbes, mold, and other components of bio-film tend to build up inside heating and cooling systems. This buildup can decrease efficiency by as much as 30 to 50%, according to UVC-Advantage. But it can also be detrimental to indoor air quality.
Most importantly, bio-growth buildup can cause serious health problems for your family, as your HVAC system blows pathogens, viruses, and mold all over your home.
Fortunately, there’s an easy solution for preventing this bio-growth: Germicidal UV Lights!
What Are HVAC Germicidal UV Lights?
Is HVAC Bio-Film Really that Big of a Health Issue?
HVAC coils are a prefect breeding ground for bacteria and other microorganisms. Their lifecycle of growing, reproducing, dying, and repeating that process over and over again eventually leads to the buildup of “bio-film.”
As you switch on your air conditioning system, you’re then blowing that “dirty-sock” air all over your house. In addition, mold, fungus, and bacteria can build up in drain pans and drain lines and cause a host of health problems.
Allergies & Indoor Air Quality
If members of your family have allergies or dust sensitivity, your heating and cooling system could actually be one of the sources of these health issues.
Here’s what the EPA has to say about the importance of indoor air quality. Even those that don’t seem bothered by dust and allergies can benefit from breathing healthy, clean air.
What Other Problems Can Bio-Film Cause in an HVAC System?
Eventually, this bio-film will build up and build up until a thin layer exists all over the inside of your HVAC equipment. The film can give off an odor that tends to smell a bit like dirty old socks.
In addition, the efficiency of your HVAC system will get worse and worse as the film builds up on coils, forcing your system to work harder and harder to keep your home at a comfortable temperature.
Over time, this can lead to a drastic reduction in the efficiency of a heating and cooling system and an increase in how much it costs you to cool your home.
UV Lights Can Help Combat Bio-Film Problems
Professionally trained HVAC technicians can install UV lights within your heating and cooling system that help prevent bio-film from developing in the first place. These lights prevent mold, fungus, bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms.
How Does a UV Light Kill Dangerous Pathogens?
It’s simple. An HVAC lamp emits invisible wave lengths that break up pathogen DNA and kill microbes. Without a UV lighting system, microorganisms thrive in the cool environment of an air conditioning system.
This holds especially true for those of us that live in the Greater Richmond, Virginia area and run our air conditioning system for many months each year.
Benefits of Installing UV Lights
- Improves Operating Efficiency (which can reduce electricity costs over time)
- Kills Microorganisms, Pathogens, Microbes, and Viruses
- Prevents Mold, Fungus, and Bacteria
- Reduces Allergens
- Eliminates Odors
Stop Blowing Unhealthy Air All Over Your House
If your family has allergy issues, the HVAC system smells funny, or your air conditioner doesn’t seem to be cooling as efficiently as it used to, it’s possible that bio-film buildup within your heating and cooling system could be causing these problems.
to learn more about the benefits of installing UV lamps in your heating and cooling system. For a limited time, we are offering a free UV light to anyone that signs up for a 2-year Comfort Club agreement* (valued at $250)!
Another effective way to increase the indoor air quality in your home is to contact our experienced AC repair technicians in Richmond to inspect your unit, change the air filters if needed, and handle any possible issues. Our team also serves other adjacent neighborhoods, offering, for instance, high-result AC repair assistance in Lakeside, helping our clients create healthy, allergen-free homes. Contact us today!
*cannot be combined with other offers, other restrictions may apply, please call for details.