At some point in every homeowner’s life, they will be faced with the challenging question – Should I repair my AC or replace it?
Will your air conditioner be able to keep you cool or will you need to invest in a new system?
At Howell's we understand that the choice to make a major AC repair isn't easy. Several factors come into play. We've identified a few questions to ask yourself before deciding to repair or replace an air conditioning unit.
- Is the air conditioner still under warranty? – Most newer units come with guarantees and/or warranties, Check to see if yours is still under its warranty by calling the manufacturer or service provider. They should be able to tell you if it covers the cost of repairs.
- What is the age of your unit? – If it’s more than 10-12 years old, it may not be cooling your home as efficiently. If you consider replacing it with a more efficient model that can save you up to 20% on cooling costs. In fact, there are several high-efficiency units, such as those with the Energy Star label.
- Uneven cooling throughout the home – Are certain rooms in your house are hotter or colder than others? Is there always one room you avoid in the summer heat because it's uncomfortable? If so, you could have faulty equipment, duct problems, or issues with proper insulation. It may be time for an upgrade.
- Is the repair easy and cost effective? – Consider the 50% rule, if the cost for repair of your system is less than half of its value – a repair might be a better option. If you're always calling for service and continuously shelling out money to stay cool, a replacement may be in order.
- Noticing higher utility bills? – This could be a sign that your air conditioner is having to work harder to cool your home. Check out the Home Energy Yardstick tool from Energy Star. It can help you calculate the energy efficiency of your home based on a variety of factors.
Our comfort experts can help you determine the efficiency of your current system and it's ability to handle the summer heat.
If it's determined that you need a new system, we can provide a variety of options that will work for your home, your budget, and your comfort needs.
On the other hand, if we find an issue that can be fixed, we can take effective AC repair measures in Richmond and across the area. So, if you're located in some other neighborhood, you can still count on us. We can deliver dependable AC repair solutions in Midlothian and beyond, so feel free to give us a call.
Sources: energystar.gov, comfort24-7.com